Chocolate Chia Seed Delight
Last night, I hosted my first cooking class. I am named it “Healthy Cooking Made Easy.” I love to cook, especially delicious comfort food. However, I always strive to use healthy ingredients when preparing any meal. As a result, I am always on the lookout for healthy substitutes of my favorite less-than-healthy foods.
Today, I am sharing the recipe of the dessert featured in last night’s class…CHOCOLATE CHIA SEED PUDDING. Chia seeds have been a staple in my diet for a while, especially since becoming pregnant. They have been deemed the “superfood” of 2016. So, what’s so great about these little seeds? Well, these tiny little seeds are packed with minerals, omega 3 fats, antioxidants, fiber, and they are a complete source of protein. Just 2 tablespoons of chia seeds contains:
· 5 times the amount of calcium in milk
· 3 times the amount of antioxidants in blueberries
· 3 times the amount of iron in spinach
· 3 times the amount of fiber in oatmeal
· 2 times the amount of protein of any other bean, seed, or grain.
Whoa, now that is what I call a superfood! You can add these little miracle seeds to smoothies or oatmeal, or you can use them to make a delicious dessert. Keep reading for my favorite chia seed pudding recipe…
Chia Seeds Pudding
½ cup Chia Seeds
2 tablespoons Mini Chocolate Chips-(70% cocoa or more)
2 ½ teaspoons Cocoa Powder
½ teaspoon Coconut Nectar or 100% Maple Syrup
3 tablespoons shredded Coconut Flakes
1 ½ cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
3 Pitted Dates
½ teaspoons Vanilla
- Blend together the almond milk, dates, raw cacao, vanilla and coconut nectar.
- Add to a container and stir in the chia seeds. Cover and move into the fridge, allowing to set for a few hours
- Stir again after a few hours to mix evenly.
- Top with shredded coconut and chocolate chips.